The Great Recognition| Principle #20
In today’s podcast episode we are discussing principle twenty of Charlotte Mason’s Twenty Principles. This principle is known as “The Great Recognition” and it discusses the spiritual life of children. You may have heard of ‘secular’ Charlotte Mason curriculums, but this principle proves that a true Charlotte Mason education cannot be secular.
Principle #20 says: We allow no separation to grow up between the intellectual and ‘spiritual’ life of children, but teach them that the Divine Spirit has constant access to their spirits and is their continual Helper in all the interests, duties, and joys of life.
- A true Charlotte Mason curriculum or education cannot be secular.
- Mason didn’t want children to grow up thinking that knowledge is so interesting and compelling, but something apart from God. She wanted us to recognize that it’s a gift from Him.
- Everything we learn – all subjects of the Feast – are ordained and inspired by God. a story, a poem, a painting, a concerto, a great work – whether the person who created it knows it or not – was inspired by God.
Listen to the podcast above to hear more!
“For ourselves and our children it is enough to know that reason will put a good face on any matter we propose…” (A Philosophy of Education).
“Reason, so far from being infallible, is most exceedingly fallible, persuadable, open to influence on this side and that; but is all the same a faithful servant, able to prove whatsoever notion is received by the will. Once we are convinced of the fallibility of our own reason we are able to detect fallacies in the reasoning of our opponents and are not liable to be carried away by every wind of doctrine” (p. 150)
A Philosophy of Education by Charlotte Mason
School Education by Charlotte Mason
(*some are affiliate links)
I hope you enjoyed this episode of the Charlotte Mason Motherhood podcast. Thank you so much for listening!
- Mason, Charlotte. Home Education. Simply Charlotte Mason, LLC, 2017.
- Mason, Charlotte. A Philosophy of Education. Simply Charlotte Mason, LLC. 2017.
- Mason, Charlotte. School Education. Simply Charlotte Mason, LLC. 2017.
Join the Charlotte Mason Motherhood Community
Connect with like-minded homeschool moms. Get exclusive videos, monthly Q&A sessions, free downloads and more!